Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Herding Pigs

The baby pigs we caught in the corn field last year are all grown up now. One of them is pregnant and is going to have babies of her own soon. Mommy and Daddy decided it was time to move her from her paddock behind the barn into a new pasture, about a quarter of a mile away. Mommy was afraid that once we took her out of her paddock, the pig would get all crazy and run away, just like the old sow did last summer- that was how we found her in the first place. Since we don't have a pig-moving trailer, Daddy figured out how to get the pig inside one of our big round hay bale feeders. Then he hung a feed bucket on the front and he and Mommy put a hand truck under each end and wheeled the whole thing down to the pasture. It worked really amazing, except that the pig wasn't very hungry and sometimes she would just stop right in her tracks and stand still.Whenever she did that, I figured out that if I just nipped her a little on her rump she would start moving again. Like this-
Here I am, watching, just in case I need to get that silly pig moving again-
Here I am showing my RR brother, Tsavo, how to herd pigs. Once he knew how, he wanted to try it, too!
And that is how I became a pig-herding pup!

No comments:

Post a Comment