Sunday, October 18, 2009

Chicken Wrangler

Ever since I was a little puppy I have never been allowed to play with chickens. That is because I am a hunting dog, and Mommy is afraid that I will make a mistake and start to hunt the chickens instead of game birds. But this time, Mommy wanted me to help her catch a chicken, and so I did. The reason was that we had snow extra early this year- way early in October! We still had an entire batch of meat chickens out on pasture and Mommy and Daddy decided that it was too cold for them to stay out there, so they moved them into the barn. Matthew helped and they got all but one caught and moved. It was really cold outside and Mommy was in her pajamas and did not want to keep chasing that one stupid chicken all around the garden, so she came and got me and told me to "Go find that chicken".

I went right into the garden and only had to chase the chicken for about a minute before I caught it. I was very careful not to hurt it, and then when Mommy came I let her take it away from me and carry it up to the barn.

Mommy was very proud of me and happy that she had me around to help. Now she says that I just have to remember next year, when we get more meat chickens, that I am not supposed to mess around with them unless a grown-up says it is okay. Mommy says NO FREELANCING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment