Monday, June 8, 2009

My First Big Trip and I Start Obedience Training

Mommy says that I was a very easy puppy. I was very smart and I was completely housebroken before I was even 13 weeks old. I hardly chewed anything at all except a few of my toys and my puppy bed. Just the inside part which was made of foam rubber. I don't know why, but I REALLY like chewing on foam rubber. Because I was so good I got to go on a trip with Mommy when I was only 15 weeks old. This trip was even longer than my trip from Illinois to Minnesota. This time, we drove all the way from Minnesota to Florida! It took 3 whole days, with lots of stops for me! One night we stayed at my old house in Illinois with Grandma Joan and Grandpa Frank. My friends Art Brown and Barbara Sawyer-Brown came to visit me, too. We were having a great time, then I had to stay in my crate while the grown-ups went out to eat supper.

When we finally got to Florida we stayed in Mommy's house. It is a nice house out in the country, but not as far out in the country as our farm in Minnesota. I never had any accidents while we were there! I got to sleep in a bed with Mommy, even though she was afraid I might get spoiled, lol. I stayed in my crate all by myself when Mommy had to go take care of business, and I never cried or had any seperation anxiety.

I also learned how to swim while we were in Florida. We went to the Alafia River, which is near Mommy's house, and I was able to walk right down into the water. It wasn't scary at all. Mommy threw sticks for me and I went right in after them. It was fun.

After we got home from Florida I started Obedience Class. I had already had some informal puppy classes with my vet and some of her foster dogs so I was ready. I did okay in Obedience except that I was not supposed to learn to sit. Mommy says don't tell anyone that sitting was practically the very FIRST thing I learned to do, way back when I was a tiny little puppy. But we did not do the sitting on lead in class because I was going to grow up to be a show dog and show dogs aren't supposed to sit in the conformation ring. The instructor let me slide on that exercise and I passed the class with flying colors! I even got a nice certificate with my name on it and everything.

Besides learning how to sit I also learned "down"; "wait"; "sit pretty"; "find it"; "crawl"; and "shake". I can even shake right or left-handed. I wasn't so good on the "down", though. Even though I knew what it meant and would do it for a treat, for some reason I did not like to do it without treats. Okay, I'll tell you a secret- I never even did a real "down", without treats, until I was 13 months old. Mommy thinks that is awful! But hey- now I can do it all the time if I want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment